Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: my "new" 291-16Ks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Talking my "new" 291-16Ks

    Chris (oface1) dropped by the shop today and brought a nice pair of 291-16K drivers.
    Wow, these beasts are big and heavy! Real monsters.

    They are up and running on my 803B horns and sounding great. They replaced a pair of 1991 vintage Radian drivers. The 291s sound much smoother and flatter than the Radians. With no EQ or tweaking the sound much more balanced than the Radians, even after heavy EQ work on the Radians. Not as edgy, either. Seem to play much lower, if needed.

    The Radians were OK and not expensive, but the 291s are a joy. Someday I'll swap out the Symbiotic frams for the 288 style and should be in hog heaven.

    Thanks Chris!

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: my "new" 291-16Ks

    Hey Mike!!

    I am glad they got to go to someone that will use/appreciate them more than I.


    Man, if they sound this good with the diaphragm replacement, wonder how they will sound with 288's ones installed!!

    Thanks for letting me come by the shop and chat on audio, like you said I like to put a face on the moniker.....


    Actually, after the wife and I had dinner with a friend up the road from you, we were talking about moving up to the triangle when things settle down here...


    Glad you are enjoying them,


    Now I need to know who needs about (4) 817 cabs & 6-8 921 LF woofers!!! (locally preferred lol !!)


    Oh yeah, I checked on my 604's tonight, they have that down slanted backside to them as well....

    Cya later !!


    -chris

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: my "new" 291-16Ks

    Quote Originally Posted by oface1 View Post
    I checked on my 604's tonight, they have that down slanted backside to them as well....
    Ah... good news. You got the good ones, then.

    Ya know, those 817 cabs sure are tempting...... (same size as what I have now)

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: my "new" 291-16Ks

    Lol!!,,,

    I am not trying to push them on ya Mike....


    Just would be nice to unload these suckers though....


    Yeah,, so what is the story on the shape of these 604's again,, my short term has been shot...

    Been scouring the 'net for some more altec gear laid in little in between places... I think a few items..hehe...


    Well I will make a new post about what I saw at the coliseum today.....


    Later,


    -chris

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    my "new" 291-16Ks


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: my "new" 291-16Ks

    FWIW, should you decide to convert your frams...

    I did this a couple years back...and was surprised to find Symbiotik frams are still in demand. I mean if somebody has a pair and wants to match, they gotta buy used or NOS. Original Altec is a big selling point...

    I got nearly GPA's new price for frams on FeePay...I bought the 299 frams instead of 288 ones...

    What I am saying is it will not cost a lot to convert. And the improvement is impressive.

    The boxes fron GPA, sans labels, are good to ship in also....I remove the labels to avoid confusion, or if it's just a part number deface it...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: my "new" 291-16Ks

    Good idea, OG. I figured the symbiotic frams would sell - but didn't know how much they would go for.
    Glad to hear the aluminum frams are a big improvement. Why did you go 299 instead of 288?

    Below is a photo of the 291 vs Radian. The 291 weighs almost as much as a 604!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.